The gorgeous and mysterious bird stones.
Some really nice examples of bird stones at the Royal Ontario Museum.
For comparison, here is another example currently housed at the Walters Art Museum which dates to between 1500 and 1000 BC (via the Wiki Commons, 2006.15.5):
The comprehensive study done by Moorehead shows that these ambiguous prehistoric objects are found most frequently in Western Pennsylvania, New York, Tennessee, and Kentucky, and also more northward in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and central Canada. Loosely resembling birds, they do not usually exceed 6 inches in length, and are most commonly made of banded slate.
While still a matter of debate, it seems most likely that these bird stones were used as a counter weight for an atlatl (throwing stick), which was used throughout the Americas. One characteristic feature of the bird stone is their flat base, which is drilled at either end. These drilled holes may have been used to attach it to the atlatl. The atlatl essentially acted as an extension of the arm, and hurled a spear with great force. The earliest evidence we have of the use of the atlatl comes from the Upper Palaeolithic, dating to approximately 40,000 years ago. To visualize how these weapons were used, see this short demonstration by Dr. Elliot Abrams, professor of archaeology at Ohio University on Youtube.
It is also possible that the bird stone was worn. One interpretation along this line of thought is that they were worn on the head of women as an indication of pregnancy, appealing to the “Thunderbird” for protection.
Link 1 <Personal & Body Care
Link 2 <Emotional & Psychological Closeness
Link 3 <Sleeping & Other Spacial Closeness
Link 4 <Life Arrangements
Link 5 <Urgent Situations
More examples include:
- Being asked to open someone else’s mail
- Having someone’s mail forwarded to your house
- Being listed as someone’s emergency contact
- Accompanying someone to the doctor/ therapist
- Helping someone apply makeup (You’re given permission to touch their face and neck, especially the delicate area around the eyes, and to alter their presented identity.)
- Reading to someone
- Drawing someone (long periods of intense scrutiny)
- Folding someone’s clothes
THIS IS A COMPLETE ASPECT/CLASS GUIDE FOR HOMESTUCK, WITH DIAGRAMS AND ICONS.
- These are my headcanons. I am perfectly happy to take advice, but I’m not changing the post for you. If something isn’t the way you believe it should be, blame Hussie for being too vague.
- I can’t go as in depth for each combination as I would prefer, as some of them are too vague to work with, and I also don’t want to write miles of explanations
- Leftmost icons are most passive. Rightmost are most active. Opposite icons on the circles represent opposing classes.
- This post is longer than Kankri’s dick and took a while to put together, so don’t steal any of it pretty please.
- My favourite icons are the Prince ones
CLICK BELOW TO OPEN THE GUIDE!
for the man who grew up too quickly. [listen]
awake o’ sleeper; the brothers bright | rolling in on a burning tire; the dead weather | barton hollow; the civil wars | done all wrong; the black motorcycle club | monsters; hurricane bells | blood on my name; the brothers bright | vultures; john mayer | bloodstream; ed sheeran | nothing but the water [part one]; grace potter and the nocturnals | wanted dead or alive; bon jovi | black; kari kimmel | eyes on fire; blue foundation | holocene; bon iver | the longer i run; peter bradley adams | ain’t no grave; johnny cash | simple man; lynyrd skynyrd | devils; amelia curran | goodbye apathy; onerepublic | dust bowl dance; mumford & sons | everybody wants to rule the world; lorde | bartholomew; the silent comedy | oats in the water; ben howard | fear; blue october | goats in trees; foster the people
chlorine kissed summer skin /listen here/
01.na na na//my chemical romance 02.new perspective//panic! at the disco 03.fast in my car//paramore 04.miss missing you//fall out boy 05.planetary (go!)//my chemical romance 06.backseat serenade//all time low 07.a love like war//all time low (feat.vic fuentes) 08.fast time at clairemount high//pierce the veil 09.miss jackson//panic! at the disco 10.check yes juliet//we the kings 11.best thing that never happened//we are the in crowd 12.million dollar houses//pierce the veil 13.finders keepers//you me at six 14.where did the party go?//fall out boy
I am looped in the loops of her hair.
antidote for anxiety: a collection of sad songs that are somehow comforting.
1. be calm - fun. | 2. that’s okay - the hush sound | 3. little talks - of monsters and men | 4. everything is alright - motion city soundtrack | 5. round here - counting crows | 6. therapy - all time low | 7. hear me - imagine dragons | 8. one step at a time (acoustic) - four year strong | 9. there, there katie - jack’s mannequin | 10. lua - bright eyes | 11. asleep - the smiths | 12. the gambler - fun. | 13. what sarah said - death cab for cutie | 14. what a catch, donnie - fall out boy | 15. twin size mattress - the front bottoms | 16. sad songs - the maine | 17. the boy who blocked his own shot - brand new